How long does it take to complete a degree?

You have 2 years to complete the Certification, 5 years to complete the MS, and 7 years to complete the D.E.S. While enrolled in these programs, you are required to maintain continuous enrollment or a minimum of 2 classes per year, one in the Fall and one in the Spring. You may take more than one course during each semester and take courses during the Summer but you are not required to. On average, students take 3.5 years to complete the degree, however, we encourage each student to take courses at a pace that suits their schedule.

Am I able to come to campus?

Absolutely! We encourage students visit campus, meet with their professors, and attend graduation if they are able.

Can I come for graduation?

Absolutely! We encourage our degree graduates to come to the University Commencement Ceremony, Class Day, and the CVN Graduation Party.

Will my degree say online or distance learning?

There is no difference between a degree received online via CVN and one received by a full-time on-campus student. There is no mention of CVN, online learning, or distance education on the transcript or diploma.

Will I be able to utilize the resources of the career center?

Matriculated students do have access to the career center. After graduation, CVN alumni with MS or D.E.S degrees also have access to the alumni network.

Applications & Getting Started
What are your application deadlines?

We have rolling admissions, so there are no hard deadlines to apply. You should submit your application at least 2 months before you wish to enroll to ensure timely consideration of your application before the semester begins.

How long before I hear back about my application?

You should allow at least 4-6 weeks to hear back from the department regarding an MS or D.E.S. application. Non-degree and Certification is 7-10 business days after all of your materials, including the application fee, have been submitted.

Can I pay my application fee online?

Application fees must be submitted via post. You must send in a physical check or money order.

Should I mail in my application?

With the exception of the application fee, all application materials must be submitted online.

Who should I use for my letters of recommendation?

The best options for recommendation letters are formers professors that you have taken courses with or done research with. Supervisors who work with you on a day-to-day basis in the engineering fields are also good recommenders. They will be required to fill out a recommendation form.

Do I have to begin in the Fall semester?

We are on the semester system and have 3 semesters per year, Fall, Spring, and Summer. You can enroll in any program before any semester.

Can I transfer classes that I have taken at another university?

You can transfer up to two classes or six credits taken previously towards the coursework of an MS degree. You can submit a transfer credit request form along with your other application materials.

Do I need to take the GRE?

A current GRE score (taken within the last five years) is required for admissions to the MS Program. You do not need a GRE for the non-degree, certification, or D.E.S. programs

Can I get the GRE waived?

Waivers are very rarely given. When they are, they are typically given to students who hold a doctoral degree. You should plan on submitting a current GRE with your MS application. If you would like to request one, please email after you have begun your application.

What is the GRE minimum?

There is no GRE minimum. The Admissions Committee sees all three of the GRE scores, but the emphasis is placed on the quantitative portion of the exam.

Can I begin as a non-degree student?

You can apply up to six credits or two classes taken as a non-degree student towards the coursework of the MS degree. Doing well as a non-degree student does not guarantee admission to the MS Program.

What if I do not meet the GPA minimum?

If you do not meet the GPA minimum of 3.0, you can apply to the non-degree or certification program. Completing either non-matriculated program, does not guarantee admission to a degree program.

I have a Bachelor’s Degree in a non-engineering field. Can I still apply?

All of the programs require a Bachelors Degree in engineering, Math, Physics, Computer Science or a related field.

Course Related Questions
How are exams issued? Do I need to come to campus?

You do not need to come to campus to complete exams. We have two remote options for testing. An online service, Remote Proctoring and having a physical, approved proctor administer the exam to you. CVN students can use both options.

Do I need to sit for the lecture as it streams live?

You will never be required to sit for a live lecture. You will be able to download or stream your lectures at your convenience.

Can I access online library resources as a CVN student?

Non-matriculated and matriculated students do have remote access to library resources.

Tuition & Fees
How much does a class cost?

The cost of each class consists of three credits plus a CVN Fee. The first class also incurs a transcript fee making the total $5,846. After the first course, each course is $5,741.

How much does the MS in engineering cost all together?

In total for 10 courses, the cost is about 56K.

Do I qualify for financial aid?

Review the information on the Financial Aid website or contact the Office of Financial Aid at to learn about options for funding your education.


Signed out


Report a Problem