Each distance education course and program at the Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science has a process for, and will make every attempt to resolve, student complaints within its courses and programs. Policies for addressing concerns are available in the Columbia Engineering Student Handbook.

CVN student concerns may be addressed to:

Sean Wiggins
Executive Director of Online Learning
Columbia Video Network, Columbia Engineering

Jenny Mak, Ed.D.
Senior Associate Dean, Academic Programs
Columbia Engineering

If the resolution through SEAS/CVN policies and procedures is not satisfactory, students may access additional information regarding appeals here: https://vptli.columbia.edu/policies/distedcomplaints/

Complaints Regarding Distance Education

Student consumer complaints against an institution operating under SARA must first go through the institution’s own procedures for resolution of grievances. Students should first address complaints to the school within Columbia where they are registered.

Student consumer complaints regarding programs at the Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science should be directed to Dr. Jenny Mak, Senior Associate Dean at Columbia Engineering.

Complaints regarding student grades or student conduct violations are governed entirely by institutional policy and the laws of New York state. If a person bringing a complaint is not satisfied with the outcome of the institutional process for handling complaints, the complaint (except for complaints about grades or student conduct violations) may be appealed, within two years of the incident about which the complaint is made, to the SARA Portal Entity in the home state of the institution against which the complaint has been lodged.

Andrea Richards
Supervisor, Higher Education Programs
New York State Education Department
89 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12234
[email protected]

Additional information about complaint procedures can be found here:

NC-SARA complaint procedures (https://www.nc-sara.org/student-complaints)

NYSED’s complaint procedures (http://www.nysed.gov/college-university-evaluation/filing-complaint-about-college-or-university)